Sunday, June 6, 2010

Attachment Project

Not to be confused with the Attachment Challenge posted by Christine at welcometomybrain.net and successfully completed by several parents in the adoption world, our attachment therapist had me do a little project. I am not ready for Christine's challenge, but it is/was a beautiful idea, and I loved reading about everyone's experiences. My project involved learning what my five core strengths are as a person and then working on using those since they are at the forefront of my personality, to help my relationship with Princess Eee.

First we took the survey which was fun to find our core strengths. There are lots of interesting surveys/quizzes on this website developed by a professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania. Like a quiz in Oprah Magazine but x 100. Then I was supposed to take my top five core strengths and create something to show how my relationship with Princess Eee will grow by banking on my five core strengths.

I decided to sew, of course. I made her something to wear, five somethings actually, over the next year all done in fabrics that I chose to represent my five core strengths. Here they are:

1) Kindness and Generosity. A shirt to wear next November on her fifth birthday. The fabric is covered with gifts to represent generosity.


2) Love of Learning. A Back-to-School dress for next fall. The fabric is obviously school/learning themed and was all I could find that had books on it but was still cute.




3) Citizenship, Teamwork, Loyalty. A Fourth of July dress for this summer. Red, White, & Blue peace signs was my interpretation of patriotic. After having to hire a lawyer to go up against the USCIS, I couldn't stomach the stars & stripes flag motif.




4) Capacity to Love and Be Loved. What shows this better than hearts and a Valentine's Day skirt?!




5) Humor and Playfulness. Meet George Jetson! Here's a dress for a whole year from now done in silly cartoon fabric with awesome Super Hero ribbon accenting the denim trim.











1 comment:

Mamita J said...

You are amazing! What a beautiful way to show and develop love for your little one. I"m still praying for your relationship to grow and become authentic.

love,
Julie

When They Were Babies

When They Were Babies