Friday, February 12, 2010

L is for...


Yes, it is Valentine's weekend, so I could say L is for Love. But no, L is for LICE.


Three parenting milestones in one winter: emergency room visit, broken bone, and lice!


I would take a broken bone anyday (I do realize the callousness in this comment since I was not the one with the broken bone) over lice. They give painkillers for a broken bone. There are no pain-in-the-ass killers for lice. Bones are set, protected, and heal. Lice keeps on keeping on. And Princess Eee (has it the worst) has A LOT of hair.


If you are interested in the details, it appears to have been an issue at the local elementary school (where none of my kids go) for a couple months now. Somehow it was passed on to Princess Eee's pre-school where lots of younger siblings of elementary school kids attend. And lots of the kids all go to the same gymnastics center where they tumble their hair all over the same mats, etc. Princess Eee shares a room with The Spark. Cupcake plays or fights with Princess Eee every minute that they are not in their separate schools. I snuggle and lay down with all three girls. Yeah, me! The boys have the right idea by not allowing little sisters in their room. They have been spared so far. And J is just one lucky man since he does way more snuggling with Princess Eee than I do. He has the world's best guardian angel I think.


The worst part besides having to comb through each strand of all the girl hair in the house every day until there are no more nits, is that we had to cancel our big annual Chinese New Year party for tomorrow night AND The Spark's gymnastics birthday party that she planned back in September for this Sunday. Well that and having to bag up all the kids soft toys and dress-up clothes for 2+ weeks to make sure any eggs are dead. And washing six beds worth of bedding in one evening plus washing some of them all again today since at least two of the girls still have eggs in their hair. The joys of parenting never cease.


4 comments:

Kathy said...

When I wowked at a preschool and we had this problem, we would often take all the stuffed animals and pillows and put them on high in the dryer and that would kill anything still on them. Maybe it will prevent from losing out on toys and dress up clothes for 2+ weeks!

AwesomeCloud and family said...

Try slathering her hair in coconut oil. Lice can't live in oily hair, and I've heard they have a special aversion to coconut oil. I've never tried it myself. I used corn oil the one time I got lice (caught it from a friend's kids) and corn oil is nasty nasty nasty. At least coconut oil smells nice. I have thick hair like Princess EEE and I was not about to spend weeks combing them out the hard way. Generously douse her hair, then wrap it up in a stylish kerchief and leave the oil in for 24-48 hours.

Mamita J said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. :-(

Wuxi Mommy said...

OH, I am so sorry. Lice is something I seriously fear!! Just the thought of it makes me scratch my head:)

When They Were Babies

When They Were Babies