We are at the White Swan in Guangzhou now and it is so nice to be here. The rooms are tiny but it really is a 5 star hotel. The palm trees and the great pool make it feel like a nice vacation now. Cupcake did great on her first airplane ride and 2 hours feels SO short now! And the bellmen from the hotel came all the way to airport with the shuttle bus to get us and our bags in their little white gloves and funny hats. Once we got checked in, we hit the pool. There are two pools. One is more of a serious swimming pool with lanes and the other is tucked away through a winding path and it is huge with a waterfall and lounge chairs and a baby pool and fully clothed lifeguards. The kids loved it and it was 95 and sunny so it's a good thing there's a good pool. AND, this is the best part, I took Cupcake out of J's arms, out of the pool, wrapped her in a towel, and although she did scream initially, I bribed her with cheerios and she sat with me and snacked for a good 5-8 minutes without crying or biting me! See photos below... Our first happy time together!
We had dinner with our group at Lucy's which is the American restaurant about 1/2 block from the hotel. Finally grilled cheese for #2! We will all eat much more this week. At dinner Cupcake was back to her ol' self and shrieked and clawed at me when J tried to hand her off to me so he could console #1 who had just been smacked by his darling baby sister with a fork. So, she still doesn't like me yet but I know from the pool experience that if she;s hungry enough I can buy her tolerance of me with food. Oh and J put her in my arms today when she was fast asleep so she had no idea and I got to hold her and snuggle her finally. She freaked the second she woke up but we had a nice 1/2 hour or so while she slept.
Tomorrow we are touring a bit with our new guide, grace, who we'll meet in the a.m. and then while I do paperwork for the Consulate in the afternoon, the kids will probably be in the pool.
2 comments:
We are loving the pictures and the stories. So wonderful to recall the White Swan and the read of the great memories you all are adding to that part of our family history. We will recall these special times together many times in the years to come. "WATCH YOUR SLIP!"
Love,
Momba
Congratulations on your happy moment...I am so glad that you are still posting. I love seeing the pictures. Can't imagine your frustration at not being able to comfort her and help per feel safe...Hope it will come (know it will)
Post a Comment