Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day 2 and it's official!

The adoption was finalized today. The assistant director of Chloe's orphanage was there again and man was she happy to see him. Her face lit up like we have not seen it do for anyone or anything else. The orphanage staff did not need to come back today and it's about a 3 hour drive, but they make the trek anyway. And we are seeing them again tomorrow when we go to Wuxi. They must really want to make sure these 2 babies are in good hands. (The two other little ones in our travel group, Emma and Eli, are from a different city than Chloe & a cutie pie named Jackson.) The orphanage staff gave us a gift today too. It's a traditional decorative piece with two babies on it. It was very nice and I don't think many orphanages give gifts to the families.

Poor Chloe is so sad. And I think not feeling great. She still does not feel fever-y, but she's sure cranky. She has had some happy moments all in J's arms of course. I did manage to coax her over with a banana at lunchtime today but once her belly was less empty she wouldn't let me near her again. At dinner tonight she even threw the piece of watermelon I was offering her into my face. Yep, she hates me. She did warm up to Caleb a little bit at dinner tonight, and he is very pleased about that. He was being so sweet with her, holding her on the bed, and then later helping feed her dinner.

She is going to need some big time PT. J's sis Heather the massage therapist said one side of Chloe's neck is all knots. You can definitely feel the difference between the left and right sides. We are crossing our fingers that she won't need surgery on that muscle, but she has not outgrown the torticollis like we had hoped.

We walked around today after Cupcake's nap. It is pretty darn hot though. We didn't stay out too long b/c everyone was getting grouchy with the heat and the fact that we were all up at 3:30a.m. again this morning. Except Cupcake who snoozed through the night til just after 6am like her schedule said. So after the walk we hit the hotel pool and the girls who work there were all amazed by how well the kids all swim. They all gasped when #2 & #3 jumped right in all by themselves before J and I even had our shirts off. Cupcake went in a little bit too in J's arms but not her head in case she does have a ear infection and sore throat.

We hope to see some more action from her in the next few days b/c she is just so sad and confused right now. Once in a while she forgets to be upset and lets a little smile through (as long as I am not looking at her or standing too close), but most of today she was just plain mopey. And she is pretty far behind thanks to orphanage life. There are 5 babies between our group and the other group that our guide is helping who all have Dec. '06 or early Jan '07 b-days, and they all seem to be very similar developmentally. Cupcake might be the most bummed out though. The assistant director whose arms she practically leaped into today said it is because she is so clever and has such a great memory that she cannot forget the life she's used to and move on yet.

Tomorrow will be interesting. All the kids decided they want to come and see the orphanage so it's going to be a long day in the bus with a real Chinese lunch at the orphanage. It is always a stressful day when new adoptive parents return to a child's orphanage or foster home to visit just after Gotcha Day, but in our case I don't feel like Chloe has really made any progress in the adjustment department, so tomorrow won;t set us back at all. We are hoping that it gives her some closure and comfort to see us with her favorite caregivers and that they will tell her it is okay for her to be happy with us. Oh, that reminds me, I tried to give her a bottle for naptime today, and she bit me on the shoulder. J took over once again and she settles right in.

Hoping for a happier, livelier Cupcake girl tomorrow.

3 comments:

Amy D. said...

Hi there! Congrats on your beautiful new baby!! My name is Amy Dinello- and I am a fellow Xingfu mommy- who was in your shoes back in April. I just wanted to assure you both that our little Hope was the same way when we adopted her. She screamed so much on the first day that I literally did not think they were going to let her leave with us!!! The next day was better- but if my hubby even looked in her direction- she would break down. She was very attatched to ger caregivers. Just so you know- - as hard as this is right now- it is a very good thing!! Our little ones were loved enough that they truly miss their caregivers. From experience--our Hope has turned out to be so loving and affectionate- and incredibly smart--which is what they told us too--I think when the children "get" the enormity of what they are going thru it is harder for them initially. She also had an incredibly difficult time at the orphanage visit-after sort of adjusting to us- she saw her caregivers again and would not go back to us without us prying her from them--truly heartbreaking--yet endearing b/c we got to see first hand how much she was loved. As hard as it was --we are happy we visited Wuxi--we have priceless pictures of her first "home"- and her first family.

I am sorry I have rambled--but I wanted you to know that it will get easier---and since we have been home, Hope is wrapped around my hubby's little finger- she loves him so much. She did not let him hold her though until after we were home--so hang in there!!!!

my thoughts are with you all!! Good luck and I can't wait to follow the rest of your journey--Thank you for sharing!!

Amy-
Hope "shu shu" Dinello's mommy

Amy D. said...

Hi there! Congrats on your beautiful new baby!! My name is Amy Dinello- and I am a fellow Xingfu mommy- who was in your shoes back in April. I just wanted to assure you both that our little Hope was the same way when we adopted her. She screamed so much on the first day that I literally did not think they were going to let her leave with us!!! The next day was better- but if my hubby even looked in her direction- she would break down. She was very attatched to ger caregivers. Just so you know- - as hard as this is right now- it is a very good thing!! Our little ones were loved enough that they truly miss their caregivers. From experience--our Hope has turned out to be so loving and affectionate- and incredibly smart--which is what they told us too--I think when the children "get" the enormity of what they are going thru it is harder for them initially. She also had an incredibly difficult time at the orphanage visit-after sort of adjusting to us- she saw her caregivers again and would not go back to us without us prying her from them--truly heartbreaking--yet endearing b/c we got to see first hand how much she was loved. As hard as it was --we are happy we visited Wuxi--we have priceless pictures of her first "home"- and her first family.

I am sorry I have rambled--but I wanted you to know that it will get easier---and since we have been home, Hope is wrapped around my hubby's little finger- she loves him so much. She did not let him hold her though until after we were home--so hang in there!!!!

my thoughts are with you all!! Good luck and I can't wait to follow the rest of your journey--Thank you for sharing!!

Amy-
Hope "shu shu" Dinello's mommy

Muffy's Heart said...

Lis,
I look at the picture of you greeting Chloe and it brings tears to my eyes. I remember seeing that same look of love and joy and wonder when you first saw Larkin. Chloe will not be able to resist your great love for her for very long. Love is patient. Love is kind. Love never fails.

Love to all,
Momba/GrammaRama

When They Were Babies

When They Were Babies