UPDATED at 7PM: J and #1 made it safely and on time to Colorado yesterday, met up with another dad & li'l shredder from NH, and my dad from FL, finally got to sleep at the slopeside hotel, and then sometime in the night J started puking. Bummer. He has not gotten sick like that in probably six years! So while the other riders, including #1 thanks to my dad, were out on the mtn. at 7:30 this morning and up the lifts when they opened to study the bordercross course, J was still in the hotel room puking some more. Lucky for the guys that placed 1st and 2nd I guess because J managed to pull himself together to get up on the mountain and come in third! Not acclimated at all, sick, with a totally empty stomach: third in the country for 30-39 year olds. Go J!
#1 was awesome too (of course I think so b/c I'm his mom) and came in 1st in one of the time trials, but he fell in the elimination round. J thinks #1 still probably came in 7th or 8th out of about 20 kids even with his fall. His buddy from NH was doing great too but crashed and came down in the ski patrol sled. Just a precaution, and he's fine. When I asked #1 on teh phone tonight how the other riders in his age group seemed, he said there are some REALLY good riders. I think he's one of them, so we'll see how he does in the other events the rest of the week. They do not compete tomorrow so hopefully they can rest up and get a little more acclimated before Slalom on Tuesday, Giant Slalom on Wednesday, Half-Pipe on Thursday, and Slopestyle on Friday.
We miss you guys!
**********************************************************************************
Those of you who are Guate-adopt readers will remember when getting your child's birth certificate(BC) took 1-2 days in some towns and waiting 3-4 weeks for a Guatemala City BC was agony?! Ali's file was submitted for her new BC in early January. On Friday, our agency guy went to Ali's hometown, Amatitlan, with (hopefully!) everything needed in the file to FINALLY get Ali's new BC. Thirteen weeks and counting that we've been waiting for a step that used to take 1-2 days!
What we thought was a ridiculous process three years ago has gotten exponentially worse. And so has travel to Guatemala. It was cheaper and easier for us to fly to China last summer than flights to GC are right now. Add to that the escalating crime rate in GC that was already high enough for this country bumpkin, and this process that was difficult in the beginning just plain ol' sucks now.
Waiting for Ali has been such a huge part of our lives for so long now that as The Wait seems like it could actually, really, and truly be nearing the end, I think I might miss it. Oh yeah, The Wait will be replaced by The Fifth Child! I don't think I'll have too much time to laze about missing The Wait.
All that to say we *should* have Ali's new BC this week. Of course, only if it is ready in the next 2-3 days because most offices close by Thursday for Holy Week.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When They Were Babies
3 comments:
I am so sorry that this wait is taking so long. Our little guy, Peter, is from the same town as your daughter! His birth certificate took 13 days and I thought that was a long time! My how things have really changed and slowed down in the past year or so. We'll keep praying her home to you!
I can only imagine---I hope good news comes this week for you.
I am really praying for that! I have been following your process since the beginning, we adopted from the same agency and were on the same group, so I am so glad to hear this. It will be a big adjustment not having the waiting pain anymore but will be amazing how you will feel when that is gone!
Good luck and my prayers are with your family!
Mica mommie to Josie
www.antiguajourney.blogspot.com
Post a Comment