Let me start by putting it out there that if I get any more right-wing, keep-the-foreigners-out, build-a-wall, tighten-up-the-borders, how dare they fly the Mexican flag at a US high school, mass email thingies from anyone, I will be angry enough to stop speaking to you for awhile. I am not posting tonight to get all liberal/political on my readers most of whom have been incredibly supportive and encouraging and understanding through our Guatemalan adoption mess (I love you all, keep the + comments coming!), but just so it is clear where I stand: we are all on ONE planet people! The lines that we call borders have not been here that long as far as the history of the world goes. And last time I was in Alaska or New Mexico or looked out my windows for that matter I noticed that WE ARE NOT FULL. We are not at max capacity. We are not a poor country. There are many, many, many Americans who could help feed a few hungry, desperate people.
Seems we have butted up against one little immigration law that will now become the thorn in our sides, the mountain to scale, another obstacle to overcome before Ali can come home. Despite the fact that we are now legally her parents, her ONLY legal parents, the Department of Homeland Security at the US Embassy in Guatemala claims that she is not a legal orphan according to section 101(b)(1)(F) of Title 8 Code of Federal Regulation 204.3(a)(2). They are basing this opinion on an early ruling of the Family Court (that eventually approved our case) which stated that Ali's birth mother, "did not have the capacity to want or act by herself with discernment or enough understanding" even though after countless doctor evaluations the court finally ruled that Ali's birth mother did know what she was doing, and the adoption was finalized. The birth certificate that the Embassy has in our file lists us as her parents. But the Dep't of Homeland Security does not want to issue her a visa so she can actually reside with her parents. What would they like us to do with her? They don't care.
Eventually she will come home. Our Guatemalan attorney is confident, and our agency is ready to fight til the end. Our attorney says it is just another step, just another procedure to follow, more of the process than we had expected. What the Embassy says needs to happen now for them to continue on our case is for us, or one of us, to be physically present at the Embassy in Guatemala to sign and date our I-600. Then the Embassy will "formulate" a Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) and send it to us. Then we may submit a rebuttal. That is how we proceed from here according to DHS at the Embassy. Our attorney has had one NOID before and our agency had one other seven years ago. From our attorney it sounds like we, or J, goes down there and signs the form and then gets the NOID and then goes in person to submit a rebuttal by sitting down with the DHS guy and explaining the case. We convince them, they issue our visa appointment date and J stays til he comes home with Ali. The email from the Embassy made it sound like there is a lot more to it than that.
Hopefully some or all of our questions about what we do to resolve this will be answered this week. For now that's all I know. And, Amy D., where IS that voo-doo doll?!?!
Monday, June 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When They Were Babies
9 comments:
So sorry this is happening. Thank God you have an attorney and agency who are able to help you through this. Praying Ali comes home soon!
Oh I am so very sorry. This shouldn't be this hard. Its awful really. Please keep up the good fight and ignore any nay-sayers. You have a beautiful family!
I am so very sorry to hear this latest bit of news! The whole thing with the voo doo doll in FC the first time around now seems so insignificant doesn't it? Please know that you still have supporters in Utah hoping and praying for you.
I am so sorry. I don't even know what to say. I hope and pray your attorney and agency advocate as much as humanly possible to bring your Ali home. I am so sorry.
That is definitely a nightmare!
I totally agree about us being citizens of the world. We USAians are already surrounded by bits and pieces of the cultures those people say they're trying to keep out. And here we are embracing those cultures as we embrace our children - well, that's just too bad for the xenophobes. I hate when people ask why someone would go aaallll the way to a foreign country for a child - we're on the same planet, and that's good enough for me! Or why anyone would want a child that doesn't look anything like them. My son and I share 99.98% of the same DNA - we're practically identical! Differences, what differences?
Ohh Lisen, I am so sorry. I am sure this will get resolved. They MUST let her come home to her mommy and daddy and her wonderful siblings. Can we help at all? Can we write to the Embassy? Just let me know.
One of the attorneys at work is married to another attorney who practices immigration law. I can ask her to tell me what she thinks if that is ok with you.
Laura
I've never commented before but have been following your blog for the longest time. I am so sorry. I check all the time just waiting to celebrate Ali's homecoming. I will continue to pray Ali home and continue to pray for strength for you and your family.
I think that since most of the words that come to my mind are not family friendly I will say as little as possible. You have my number. Use it anytime for any reason...
Love
Lisen- I just LOVE you. You are my Hero(ine)! Your first paragraph said it beautifully. Can't tell you how many people I've had to write off 'cause the their right-wing BS. Ali sure is a lucky girl- hope she comes home soon!!
Post a Comment