Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Ali pics + Cupcake update




New pics today of our middle daughter. She will be three years old in one week. And still no news whatsoever from the judge. Maybe a third birthday present? And to think we were so bummed when we missed her first birthday! We kept a slice of cake from her 1st birthday cake, which we all ate without the birthday girl, in the freezer for a year. Last year we didn't even make a cake because the outlook for her ever coming home was so grim. This year we are back on the roller coaster of feeling hopeful and then not, up and down, over and over. We'll be having cake next Thursday though! And I hope Magda has one for Ali too. I sent a #3 candle and party supplies with Ali's gifts.

An email from the foster family tells us that when asked her name she replies, "Alisson Violeta Kern." Now if only she could actually live with her family!
As for our little Cupcake, she is great! She likes us enough now that she wants to sleep less and be with us more. Not as wakeful as her big sister was for years, but still not quite as psyched to be alone in her crib as she was up until now. This is great news for our attachment process. She also has turned a corner about our permanence I think. It seems like she knows we are hers for good, forever, no matter what, so she lets her spunky toddler-ness be known more and more. She is very strong willed and very loud like her oldest brother. And very active like he is too. I think he might have a partner in crime on the mountain in the future too because she already flips through his snowboarding mag's and points out all the riders to him with a big smile.
She has her 2nd pediatrician appt tomorrow, and they will attempt a TB test again, three more vaccinations, and a trip to the blood lab to re-do two of the tests she had done in September. She is going to have a rough day. I am excited to know how much she has grown since we are pulling more and more out of the 18-24 month "handy-down" bin.
p.s. I just looked again and realized that Ali's ears are now pierced! Usually they are done in a doctor's office in Guatemala, and I really hope this is the case with Ali's. I hadn't heard that she'd been to a doctor recently though. I wish they'd asked us like friends' foster moms did. Oh well. The Spark is already saying she wants hers pierced now too since her little sister has earrings. Then #1 chimes in saying he wants plugs in his (the big round things that punk kids put in their ears that stretch the lobes WAY out forever!). If Magda only knew what a big can of worms this opens for us!

2 comments:

Lola Granola said...

Hey--reading your last post with deep frustration for you...maybe it will turn out better than, well, it sounds like it will.
We have "handy downs" too!

Wuxi Mommy said...

Your little Ali is so cute. I can't imagine how hard it's been for you to watch her grow up in pictures. I continue to pray that the doors will open for you to finally bring her home and complete your family!

When They Were Babies

When They Were Babies