Thursday, May 7, 2009

Would you believe...

ANOTHER glitch?! It's been a couple of days, and I finally feel like I can even post about it.

The US Embassy made a mistake on the I-72 they issued on our case. Yep, even the US Embassy can make this take longer than it ever should have! An I-72 is a request from the US Dep't of Homeland Security via the US Embassy in Guatemala for a correction or additional paperwork concerning an adoption case in order to get the visa appointment. We were really hoping NOT to receive an I-72, but due to the nature and length of this case, we kind of assumed we'd get one. The one they issued a few weeks ago (at the same time the authorized the DNA test) has been completed. The problem is that when our attorney submitted the document the Embassy requested on the original I-72, they then made it clear that they had actually requested TWO documents. Their mistake was that they only translated part of the I-72 into Spanish for our attorney, so he only completed the part he could read in Spanish. The Embassy re-sent the I-72 with the other part translated yesterday, and now our attorney is chasing down that document too. Once he gets it from good ol' FC#6, he has to have it certified and translated. Then he can submit it to the US Embassy. Hopefully sometime next week.

Our fear is that once they get this 2nd document, they will delve further into what a mess this case was and feel the need for even more information. Basically if that happens, it will be like an investigation into the case. What a pain in the neck! Not to mention how much extra time this could mean.

So we called our senator. We called the NH office of USCIS. We called a friend whose cousin works at the State Department in DC. We just want to make sure that this current I-72 is all they need/want and if not, tell us a.s.a.p. so we don't lose any more time. I don't think anyone can really help, but it's still kind of neat to see US Senate come up on our caller ID and know that they are not calling to campaign.

And the DNA test is still not complete anyway. We were really thinking our visa appointment would be the week of the 18th, but that is a definite long shot now. Maybe the last week of May if we are really lucky.

3 comments:

Lund7 said...

I am so sorry this is happening to you and to Ali! Can anything else go wrong and be further delayed!!!??? She needs to be with you now and this paperwork is such a mess. Praying you can be with her in May still!

Lola Granola said...

Oh, NO!!!!
No!
I really hope some of those calls help. THis is not what I wanted to see when I swung by...
SOrry.

Wuxi Mommy said...

Wow...I really can't believe it! Your family has been amazingly strong to get through all of these fiascos with Ali's adoption. I'm still praying that things get straightened out quickly, and that you can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and bring your Ali home!

When They Were Babies

When They Were Babies